Last week was outstanding! Our students provided steady effort all week and continue to make strides towards the upcoming goals! Our Winter Guard has their next performance next Saturday, and the band classes have their next performance on Tuesday after winter break. We concluded last week with a celebration of one of our outstanding members. Madison Pate began writing books and hasn’t stopped. What began as Brick of Sound has continued in a 5 book series. On Friday, we celebrated the publishing of the third book with a dedication ceremony. Madison dedicated her book to her uncle, Katahj Copley, who was able to attend. Dr. Stoutmire, Madison’s mother, thanked the school system for the tremendous support and presented a copy of the book to our principal Mr. Lyle. Principal Lyle thanked the family and staff for partnering together to provide the best possible education for our students. Thank you to Ms. Lawler for allowing us to host the ceremony in the Media Center and for providing the perfect space for such recognition! Congratulations Madison! We look forward to celebrating again when book 4 is published.
Week at a Glance:
- Winter Break – No Classes this week!
- Wednesday: Varsity Winter Guard Rehearsal • 12:00pm – 8:00pm
- Friday: Winter Guard Rehearsal • JV 10:00am – 2:00pm • Varsity 2:00pm – 6:00pm
- Saturday: Winter Guard performances at Villa Rica HS • Buy Tickets
- 6:45AM Report
- 9:50AM Depart for VRHS
- 11:47AM JV Performance
- 1:07PM Varsity Performance
Pre-LGPE Concert • Tuesday, February 28, 2023
Our Pre-“Large Group Performance Evaluations” is on Tuesday, February 28, 2023, which is right after we return from Winter Break. Students will wear the formal concert attire for this event. We will perform for a panel of trusted colleagues who will provide a mock adjudication and comments to help us better prepare for the event in March.
Itinerary for Pre-LGPE on Tuesday • February 28, 2023
- 3:30PM All percussion students assist with moving percussion equipment to the MAC
- All student leadership/aspiring leaders assist with moving chairs and setting up for CJHS Concert Band
- 6:50PM Concert Band students report to Mr. Cox’s room with instruments* (7:30PM Performance)
- 7:20PM Symphonic Band students report to Mr. Cox’s room with instruments* (8:00PM Performance)
- 7:50PM Wind Ensemble students report to Mr. Cox’s room with instruments* (8:30PM Performance)
- * If you are in the audience for the group on stage during your report time. Please report at the conclusion of their performance.
- At the conclusion of the concert, we need as many students and parents as possible to returning stands to under the stage, and moving chairs and percussion equipment back to the band room.
GMEA Large Group Performance Evaulations
We received a preliminary schedule of Large Group Performance Evaluation times. All performances are hosted by the Carroll County Performing Arts Center and are FREE and open to the public. Please add these times to your calendar and share them with friends and family. The students are putting in extraordinary efforts to prepare this concert and we want to share it with as many people as possible.
- March 16, 2023
- Concert Band • 10:30AM
- Peacemaker March by Karl King edited by James Swearingen
- Incantations by Robert W. Smith
- Suspended Animation by Patrick Burns
- Symphonic Band • 4:00PM
- British Eighth March by Zo Elliott edited by Quincy Hilliard
- Incidental Suite by Claude T. Smith
- I. Tarantella
- II. Nocturne
- III. Rondo
- Mt. Everest by Rossano Galante
- Wind Ensemble • 8:00PM
- Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company by John Philip Sousa edited by the USMC
- Four Scottish Dances by Malcolm Arnold transcribed by John Paynter
- I. Pesante
- II. Vivace
- III. Allegretto
- IV. Brio
- Give Us This Day: Short Symphony for Wind Ensemble by David Maslanka
- I. Moderately Slow
- II. Very Fast
- Concert Band • 10:30AM
Chocolate Bar Fundraiser • Sold Out!
All chocolate bars have been sold! Thank you so much to everyone who participated in the fundraiser!
Please help advertise! The 5K is quickly approaching.
Our 5K is on March 18, 2023. We are looking for sponsors and runners! Remember, you will receive 10% of each sponsorship that you secure towards band/guard fees or your trip account. You aren’t a runner but. you want to support our band? There is a T-Shirt only option.
The fun run is a 1 mile option for kids 12 & Under. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place male and female will receive an award for the fun run.
The 5K is open to all participants. The cost is $25.00 per participants and students can sign-up for $15.00 each.
Fun Run (12 & Under): 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Male & Female
Overall Male & Female
First Masters Male & Female (40+)
1st, 2nd, 3rd place in the following categories:
10 & Under • 11-14 • 15-19 • 20-24 • 25-29
30-34 • 35-39 • 40-44 • 45-49 • 50-54 • 55-59
60-64 • 65-69 • 70-74 • 75-79 • 80&UP
Visit https://runsignup.com/Race/GA/Carrollton/trojanband5k to sign-up or for more information.
Thank you so SoleRoots Racing for your assistance in organizing, setting up, and timing the events. Thanks to their assistance, we are proud that this race serves as an official Atlanta Journal-Constitution Peachtree Road Race Qualifying Event.
We would like to recognize our seniors and their future plans! Parents/students, please fill out the form here ASAP to help us recognize our amazing seniors!
Waiting List for the NY Trip
There are a few registrations pending, but with the current registrations and pending ones, we are at 130 travelers exactly. If you haven’t signed up, you are welcome to register but you might be added to a waiting list and you will be notified when a spot opens up. Visit this website for more information about the trip.
Snacks still needed for Winterguard
During the fall we were blessed by donations for our marching band! During the winter season we will be traveling with our Winterguard and feeding them during long rehearsals. Thank you so much for your support of all of our students!
Mark Your Calendars
The following events we need all hands on deck and are requesting your involvement.
This is not an exhaustive list. Refer to our calendar online for the most up to date information regarding events and times.
- 20 – 25 • Winter Break • No School
- 22 • Varsity Camp 12:00PM – 8:00PM
- 24 • Winterguard Camp JV • 10:00AM – 2:00PM, Varsity 2:00PM – 6:00PM
- 25 • Winterguard at Villa Rica HS
- 27 • Symphonic Band: 3:30pm – 6:00pm
- 28 • Pre-LGPE Concert • MAC
- 1 • Concert Band: 3:30pm – 6:00pm
- 2-4 • GMEA All-State Band
- 4 • Winterguard at South Forsyth HS
- 6 • Symphonic Band: 3:30pm – 6:00pm
- 7 • Wind Ensemble: 3:30pm – 6:00pm
- 8 • Concert Band: 3:30pm – 6:00pm
- 9 • Winterguard Parent Meeting 6:30PM
- 11 • Winterguard at Harrison HS
- 13 • Symphonic Band: 3:30pm – 6:00pm
- 14 • Wind Ensemble: 3:30pm – 6:00pm
- 15 • Concert Band: 3:30pm – 6:00pm
- 16 • LGPE • WE, SB, CB • Times are still TBD
- 17 • Teacher Word Day • No School
- 18 • Trojan Band 5K • Required for all members
- 1 – 2 • Winterguard SAPA Championships • Chattanooga, TN
- 3-7 • SPRING BREAK • No School
Categories: CHS Band