We have had a wonderful last few weeks beginning with band camp and finishing up with some evening rehearsals! We are extremely excited about the work ethic, optimism, and determination of the students this year. Thank you for continuing to encourage your child. It is already shaping up to be a memorable year. School starts tomorrow and our first game is on Friday! This week begins our regular rehearsal schedule* (with the exception of Thursday due to the Candlelight ceremony postponement), which is listed below.
Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “You must do the things you think you cannot do.” We look forward to helping each of our students overcome any obstacle they perceive as a challenge and encourage them to continue doing it “One more time,” as they prepare themselves for success!
Week at a Glance
- Monday: Full Band 3:45pm – 6:15pm
- Tuesday: Full Band 3:45pm – 6:15pm
- Thursday: Full Band 5:00pm – 8:00pm (Normally we rehearse 6:00pm – 9:00pm* Change due to candelight ceremony)
- Last half hour – PARENTS come out and watch the end of rehearsal in the stadium. This is when we are doing run throughs and we like having an audience.
- 8:30pm Candlelight Ceremony on Band Practice Field
- Friday: Away vs. Gadsden City High School • CHECK TIME ZONES • Click Here to Volunteer
- 3:30pm EST load equipment on trailer
- 4:00pm EST dinner
- 4:45pm EST uniform check
- 5:00pm EST depart for Gadsden City HS
- *6:00pm CST arrive at Gadsden City HS
- *7:00pm CST kick-off
- *10:30pm CST depart for CHS (approximate)
- 1:30am EST arrive back at CHS ~ ETA will be updated via Remind directions to subscribe are listed below
Candlelight Ceremony on Thursday
Due to the high possibility of inclement weather at Trojan Night, we postponed the candlelight ceremony until this Thursday, August 18. Seniors and student leadership elected to move Thursday rehearsal to 5:00pm – 8:00pm so that we can begin the ceremony at 8:30pm.
Sponsorship Drive • Final Push
This is our final week of the sponsorship drive. Please email Candie Hicks, our booster club treasurer for more information. She has a list of businesses in the community and sponsorship forms. Please do not just ask random businesses without reaching out to Candie, because we want to be sure to not to bombard our community with multiple requests. We have a very supportive community and we want to remain respectful of their generosity. If you have a personal connection with certain businesses, please reach out to Candie to let her know and we will do our best to organize it where you can approach those businesses without other students competing for the same support. Please do not reach out to a business unless it is in the packet that you were assigned or you have reached out to Candie and she has responded. Thank you for your assistance in keeping this sponsorship drive organized and respectful of our community!
Students will receive 10% of all sponsorships secured by them or their parents. Thank you for reaching out to Candie Hicks so that we are not all competing for the same businesses, but doing our best to reach out to unique supporters.
If you haven’t picked up sponsorship info, please email Candie so that you can arrange a time to pick some up. Please return all sponsorship packets by August 19. Students will not receive credit for sponsorships sold after August 19.
Subscribe to the calendar
T-Shirt Design Contest
We are wanting to add items to the Band Shoppe for our students and thought it would be fun to allow students to submit a design for a shirt. The designs will be voted on and the winning submission will receive a free shirt! To submit a design please email your submission to our booster president, Robert Moore.
District Honor Band
GMEA (Georgia Music Educators Association) sponsors a District and All-State band each year. The audition requirements were posted on Friday. This is an extremely important opportunity, especially for students desiring to audition for a scholarship. Taking advantage of audition opportunities can help them learn to handle nerves and ultimately prepare a stronger college audition than if they wait until their senior year.
Auditions are on December 10, 2022 at East Paulding High School. Download the audition material below:
- GMEA.org/all-state band/audition info
*The score sheets include Middle School and High School sheets. Be sure to look at the correct grade level and instrument because they are all different.
The first audition in December serves as a qualifying round for the second round of All-State auditions in addition to placement auditions for the district honor band. District Honor Band is hosted by Ringgold High School in Ringgold, GA from February 9 through February 11.
The score sheet lists the score needed to qualify for the second round for each instrument. The final audition is hosted by Union Grove High School in McDonough, GA on Saturday, January 7, 2023. Students who earn a spot in the All-State Band participate in Athens, GA at the Classic Center from March 2 through March 4.
Amazon • 2 Ways to Help
Health Class • Are you done yet?
9th Grade students enrolled in marching band or new band members (guard included) who haven’t taken Health and PE yet should complete this online health class to receive PE and Health Credit for participation in marching band. All of the information is below and can be accessed using the “Health in Band” link at the top of this page. All of the health coursework is due by October, but I highly recommend you complete it ASAP. Parents, please double check with your child that they have completed this course. School starts tomorrow. Students still have time, but need to prioritize finishing this before homework begins piling up.
Mark Your Calendars
The following events we need all hands on deck and are requesting your involvement.
This is not an exhaustive list. Refer to our calendar online for the most up to date information regarding events and times.
- 15 • FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!
- Begin our regular rehearsal schedule
- Monday: 3:45pm – 6:15pm
- Tuesday: 3:45pm – 6:15pm
- Thursday: 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Begin our regular rehearsal schedule
- 19 • Away vs. Gadsden City, Alabama
- 26 • Away vs. South Paulding
- 27 • Saturday Rehearsal • Full Band • 1:00pm – 9:00pm
- 15 • FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!!
- 2 • Home vs. Rome
- 5 • Labor Day • No School • No Practice
- 9 • Away vs. Villa Rica
- 10 • Saturday Rehearsal • Full Band • 1:00pm – 9:00pm
- 16 • Home vs. Jenkins
- 19 • All in One Sale Kick-Off
- 20 • American Pie Spirit Night • 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- 23 • HOMECOMING vs Hillgrove
- 30 • No Game – Open Friday
- 1 • Super Bowl of Sound Marching Competition at Central-Carroll High School
- 4 • County Exhibition at Central-Carroll
- 6 • All in One Sale Turn In Night
- 7 • Home vs. East Coweta • SENIOR NIGHT
- 8 • Legacy of Champions • Required event for all parents and students
- 10 – 14 • Fall Break • No School
- 14 • Away vs. Pebblebrook
- 21 • Away vs. Westlake
- 22 • Peach State Marching Competition at Rome High School
- 24 • Symphonic Band Rehearsal • 3:45pm – 6:00pm
- 25 • Wind Ensemble Rehearsal • 3:45pm – 6:00pm
- 26 • Concert Band Rehearsal • 3:45pm – 6:00pm
- 27 • Full Band Rehearsal • 3:45pm – 6:00pm
- 28 • Home vs. Campbell
- Senior Breakfast • email Barbara Dothard for more info
- 1 • American Pie Spirit Night • 6:00pm – 9:00pm
Categories: CHS Band