One absolute in life is that it will continue to present unexpected obstacles. Although you may not have control over the certain circumstances, you always have control over your reaction to the consequences. COVID-19 was a curveball from left-field and although many people warned of the potential of a looming pandemic, it was treated like the little boy who cried wolf. And this was the time that it was different catching our world by surprise.
I hope that knowing that we will be celebrating you in a few short days helps relieve the disappointment that tonight may bring. Disappointment is inevitable although understanding that the disappointment was not intentional, hopefully understanding that the decision was made for our community’s safety helps to curb it a little bit. Know that you are loved by many in our community and especially our school. We are extremely proud of your accomplishments and wanted excitedly to provide you with the BEST graduation tonight. Thank you for understanding the circumstances, and know that we look forward to providing you with a meaningful graduation ceremony on June 1.
Learning to be flexible, to think on your feet, and to think of others are lessons that will serve you well in your lifetime. I think these are lessons that you have learned throughout your time in the band program and I hope that you will have fond memories of your time with your band family. How many times were we faced with inclement weather during our time together? I remember getting one run through in before the bottom fell out, braving the frigid temperatures for another run (in the SNOW), making a decision to go inside with only seconds to spare before a deluge hit, a pool party that was cut short due to flooding, rainy football games, a rescheduled competition, and of course the day it rained every band camp! You handled those situations with class! Every time you overcome a difficult situation, you develop more courage to face the next one. These are the situations that will prepare you to lead our society in the future. As you continue to learn, I am more confident that we will be in good hands.
These words from Mother Theresa are too poignant not to share because it has to do with dealing with disappointment.
- People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
- If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
- If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.
- If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.
- What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.
- If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
- The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.
- Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.
Never forget: you are the best version of yourself! and your BEST is always good enough. Love you guys – BAND FUN! And I cannot wait to celebrate your accomplishments soon!
Categories: CHS Band