Trojans advance to the 3rd Round of Playoffs
Although it rained all day on Friday and the temperatures were a little cold, Friday night turned out to be a wonderful evening! Our Trojans were victorious against Sprayberry with a final score of 39-13. We host Valdosta for the quarter-finals on Friday in Grisham Stadium. Let’s Go Trojans!
Week at a Glance
- Monday: Gold Winter Guard • 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Tuesday: Tuxedo Fittings after school
- Silver Winter Guard • 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Thursday: All Winter Guard • 6:00pm – 9:00pm
- Friday: Home vs. Valdosta (Sign up link to volunteer)
- 5:30PM Band Room Open for Uniforms/Equipment
- 6:30PM Report in Full Uniform to Band Set-Up
- 7:10PM Pre-Game
- 7:30PM Kick-Off
Concert Attire Fittings
We would like to go ahead and fit our students for concert attire in preparation of having concerts next semester.
We will be fitting for dresses during class this week and need a few moms to help if you are available during classes? Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 770-834-0550 if you are available to assist with dress fittings. We need help specifically during 2nd block (10:00AM – 11:30AM) and 4th block (1:45PM – 3:15PM).
Students needing a tuxedo have a couple options:
- Stay after school on Tuesday and be fit by the Squire Shop
- Visit the Squire Shop at your convenience for your fitting (it needs to be done this week if at all possible)
Cost for concert attire (you can pay for it in January if needed):
- Girls Concert Attire: $105.00
- dress $59, shoes $36, jewelry $10
- Boys Tuxedo Attire with Shoes: $215.00
- coat $85, pants $40, shirt $25, cummerbund & bow tie $25, shoes $40
Home vs. Valdosta
We will perform our competition show and Battle Hymn again on Friday. It is predicted to be cold again. Be sure to wear layers under our uniform so that you remain warm during our performances. You’re welcome to have extra jackets and hats in the “stands” area, but wearing extra layers under your uniform will ensure that you remain warm all evening.
Concessions will be handled like they were at our last game. The boosters will have some items available for our students in the band room to purchase during the 3rd quarter break. Please bring money with you to the game if you would like something to snack on during your break.
Looking forward to being ENTHUSIASTICALLY LOUD as we cheer on our Trojans!
This is still going on, take advantage of the fundraiser to earn money towards your trip. https://carrolltontrojanband.superfanfundraising.com/team_members/registration
Each order that comes through your link will earn you 40% of the total order cost (not including shipping/handling) toward your trip cost. If you are going on the trip, this is a great way to earn money toward the cost of it. Share it, sit back and watch the money come in.
SAPA is still working on finalizing all performance locations. Once we know the performance schedule we will add it to the website. Students will receive information on fees, etc. at rehearsals this week and we will get that information posted here soon.
If you have a child who participates in the marching band, it is very important that you subscribe to our Remind. Although we will send communications regarding class via Infinite Campus (IC) messenger, we use Remind for our extra curricular communications. The interface for the IC messenger does not allow us to send messages unless we use a computer and we often need access to send a communication (i.e., updated ETA’s) using our phones. We use Remind for all “just in time” communication to our marching band parents and students.
Trip Update – Chaperone Action Required
Anyone who is traveling as a chaperone needs to complete the following survey.
Payments will be handled through our booster club at the Square Site. Super Holiday Tours requires payments from us to begin securing transportation and lodging. A total of $200 was due by Nov 30. Additionally, an extra $200 for a total of $400 is by Dec 18. A third $200 payment is due in January and the balance for the trip is due February.
Have you missed the deposit for the trip? Still want to go? We still have open spots, but you would need to get caught up in payments this month. Because we are taking charter buses and dividing the cost of the buses amongst the participants, the cost of the trip is dependent on filling up the seats on the bus.
All Cancellations and changes in the number of attendees must be made in writing, indicating reason of cancellation, dated and signed by the Group Leader. Upon receipt of written notification of changes in number of attendees (individual cancellations), or entire group cancellation, charges will be applied as follows:
- Dec. 16, 2020 – Jan. 13, 2021 • $50.00 per person cancellation fee
- Jan. 14 – Jan. 28, 2021 • $389.00 of per person cancellation fee
- Jan. 29 – Feb. 27, 2021 • $583.50 of per person cancellation fee
- Feb. 28, 2021 After 4:00 PM • NO REFUNDS
Please Note: ALL admission tickets are issued as “Non-Refundable and Non-Transferable” by suppliers. Super Holiday Tours strongly suggest that ALL individuals in groups purchase the optional Travel Protection plan.
The Student Protection Plan has been purchased on behalf of all travelers:
SUPER HOLIDAY TOURS has purchased the Student Protection Plan on behalf of all travelers, which helps protect you after departure.
CFAR (Cancel for Any Reason) Insurance is not automatically included, but it is highly recommended. More information on this insurance plan will be available through Super Holiday Tours. Our tour representative is Hilde Jones email@example.com. If you have questions about CFAR, please direct them to her. As soon as Mr. Carr has information regarding the CFAR insurance, he will post it here on the website for you.
Here is what all is included in our trip:
★ Three Nights Lodging in Orlando (March 31 – April 2, 2021)
★ Three (3) Breakfast provided each morning at hotel
★ Three Day – Park to Park Admission Ticket to Universal Orlando Resort includes UNIVERSAL STUDIOS, ISLANDS of ADVENTURE and UNIVERSAL’S VOLCANO BAY
★ UNIVERSAL STARS PERFORMANCE
★ Two (2) Dinners UNIVERSAL STUDIOS DINING CARD
★ One (1) Dinner at HARD ROCK CAFE or MARGARITAVILLE (tbd)
★ SLEUTHS MYSTERY DINNER SHOW (tbd)
★ Free time to shop and explore CityWalk Universal Studios
★ ALL TAXES AND GRATUITIES
SUPER HOLIDAY TOURS will provide the following additional goods and services to and for the CARROLLTON HIGH SCHOOL BAND:
★ Services of a SUPER HOLIDAY TOURS REPRESENTATIVE (gratuity not included)
★ Round trip motorcoach transportation, driver’s room and gratuity
★ Lanyard/Pouch and String backpack
★ Liability Insurance Coverage
PER PERSON PACKAGE PRICES (based on 142 paying participants)
- STUDENT QUAD OR TRIPLE OCCUPANCY: $800.00 (2 Queen Beds for 3 or 4 persons in a room)
- DOUBLE OCCUPANCY: $898.00
(2 Queen Beds for 2 persons in a room)
- SINGLE OCCUPANCY: $1,108.00 (1 King Bed for 1 person in a room)
District Honor Band Auditions
Students who have signed up for District Honor Band Auditions should start recording their audition videos now. You can follow this link to see an example of the district honor band score sheets. Please note, the link contains ALL sheets so you will need to scroll down to see the appropriate sheet for your instrument and grade level. Concert Band = 9th and 10th grade; Symphonic Band = 11th and 12th grade. After recording, students should use the rubric to judge how many points they would receive on their scales. If they start doing this now, then they can continue creating videos before the deadline to ensure that they receive all of the available points for scales. This is a highly competitive process, do not give away free points.
The points awarded for the etude and sight-reading are slightly more subjective to interpretation, but students can see the rubric used and score themselves accordingly as a strategy for continued improvement. For the first round the first etude counts as the etude score and the bracketed portion of the second etude will be performed as the sight-reading portion.
Here is the information from GMEA regarding video submissions for District Honor Band this year. This information was shared with our students at the beginning of November via Google Classroom. I have included most of the information below also for your convenience:
What to record:
- The recording submission should be video with audio and NOT audio only.
- Each student will need to record three separate submissions as follows:
Brass and Woodwinds:
- Submission #1 Scales: Required scales in required order and chromatic scale (specified to their instrument) submitted as one continuous recording. All major scales, arpeggios and chromatic scales must be memorized. Scale sheet and music stand should NOT be present in the video when recording this portion of the audition.
- Submission #2 Lyrical: Lyrical etude
- Submission #3 Technical: Bracketed portion of technical etude
- Submission #1 Snare: Bracketed portion of snare etude
- Submission #2 Mallets: Required scales in required order, chromatic scale (full range of instrument) and bracketed portion of the mallet etude. Major scales and chromatic scale must be one continues recording. The etude portion can be recorded separately then edited together with the scales, or may be recorded sequentially with the major scales and chromatic scale in one take. All major scales, arpeggios and chromatic scale must be memorized. Scale sheet and music stand should NOT be present in the video when recording this portion of the audition.
- Submission #3 Timpani: Demonstrate tuning* both drums to Etude Pitches, Single Stroke Roll, Forte Piano Crescendo Roll and designated portion of Timpani Etude. These four performances must be filmed in one take.
- *Reminder: Students may use any type of tone producer (pitch pipe, mallet instrument, etc.) for tuning, however no electronic devices may be used to produce a tone for tuning purposes by the student. Symphonic Band students must use only one pitch (the lower of the two) to tune the lower drum and then tune the higher pitch by ear only. The given pitch must be the lower pitch of the 2 drums.
- There will be a 30 second per drum time limit on the Middle School and Concert Band timpani tuning audition and a 30-second total time limit on the Symphonic Band timpani tuning audition.
Introduce Yourself – VERY IMPORTANT
Judges must be able to see the student’s face, hands, and full instrument throughout the entire recordings.
Students should not wear clothes identifying the school they attend.
All students must introduce themselves at the beginning of each video.
Woodwinds and Brass Students must clearly state:
- First and last name
- Grade in school
- The component they will be playing within the video (Scales, Lyrical, or Technical)
Percussion Students must clearly state:
- First and last name
- Grade in school
- The component they will be playing (Snare, Mallet or Timpani)
Label Your Videos
Students must label each individual recording file in the following format:
“Level_Instrument_What portion of audition_Last Name_First Name”
- CB_Trumpet_Scales_Doe_ John
- CB_Trumpet_Lyrical_Doe_ John
- CB_Trumpet_Technical_Doe_ John
Students need to upload all three individual recordings into YouTube and create an “unlisted link” for each video. Only people who are provided the link will be able to view the video. These videos will not be viewable by the public on YouTube.
*When this process is complete, each student video will display their “labeled file name” under the video window as shown below:
This will ensure directors have all recorded components from each student and all district organizers have accurate records for the judging process. Judging panels will be able to accurately identify student with score sheets.
Step-by-step tutorial video
Brass and Woodwinds: https://youtu.be/w20334PFL8Q
Once the videos are completed the students will submit all three videos using a Google Form. I will make this form available very soon, but the videos for District Honor Band are not due until the week that we return back from Christmas Break. It is still A GREAT IDEA to go ahead and start recording! If you have finished your scales already, then you do not have to worry about that recording except for keeping up with the link. Let’s get it done!
Categories: CHS Band