Week at a Glance:
- Monday • Color Guard Auditions • 3:45pm – 7:00pm • CUES Gym
- Tuesday • Jazz Performance Evaluations • Cartersville HS
- Wind Ensemble Rehearsal with Julie Giroux • 3:45pm – 6:00pm
- Colorguard Auditions • 3:45pm -7:00pm • CUES Gym
- Wednesday • Colorguard Auditions • 3:45pm – 7:00pm • CUES Gym
- Thursday • Honors Night • 7:00pm • MAC
- Friday • Percussion Ensemble • 3:45pm – 6:00pm
- Saturday • Prom
Band BBQ • May 5, 2022
Incentives for students selling
For every 10 tickets that a student sells for the BBQ/Raffle, they will receive 1 entry into a drawing. We will draw 5 names and the students will receive a lunch of their choice from a local restaurant. We will calculate the number of tickets sold at the turn in night. Only information turned in by the turn in night on April 29 will count towards the drawing.
PACKET TURN IN NIGHT
Friday, April 29 from 3:00 pm until 5:00pm (immediately after school) in the Band Room. All money, checks, and any unsold tickets should be returned at that time.
Please plan to join us to help on Thursday, May 5, BBQ Day! Help is needed from 7:30am for set-up, until final clean-up around 8:00 pm. There is a place and time for you to help! We need you! Click here to sign up to volunteer as soon as you can – we will be starting planning meetings very soon. It’s work, but it is a great day filled with fellowship, and lots of fun with each other and the students.
An alternative to selling tickets would be a monetary donation towards the program’s continued success. If you do choose not to sell and make a donation instead, please return your packets so that we can make your tickets available for others who wish to sell more. It takes the contributions of each one of us to support and maintain any successful band program and especially the Legacy of the CHS Trojan Band. Each family, putting forth their best effort, allows each student in our band program to be successful. As you know, our band fees are less than most schools, this is because of the strong fundraising efforts of the Band Boosters and our students.
Auditions were last Thursday and we are very pleased with our students’ progress! Although we did not see as many students break 200 points this time, we noticed a trend in students scoring higher on their etudes and sight-reading. Because the etude scores and sight-reading scores are fixed, once many students begin maxing these scores out the only way to differentiate performance is through the scale score. Students who wish to improve their audition results in the future should begin practicing scales now. Learn new scales each week. Learn them slowly, but test yourself at least once a week to see if you can perform more scales in 2 minutes than you did last week. Through consistent and methodical practice, you will see major improvement in November.
We are very close to finalizing audition results. Our apologies for not being able to post them tonight, but there are still a few loose ends that we must tie up first. The goal is to have them posted by next weekend.
Sun Belt Jazz Festival at UWG
Our jazz bands were invited by Dr. Ben Geyer, director of jazz studies, to perform as part of this fantastic festival and our students did a GREAT job! Thank you to all of our friends and family who came out to support our students. I am very proud of the hard work that our students continue to pour into their musical studies. This is the first year in our history that we have prepared 3 jazz bands for performance evaluations, and the first time that we have had 3 jazz bands invited to perform at a jazz band festival. It was a great day for music making and an honor to participate in such a wonderful event.
Jazz Performance Evaluations
Jazz Performance Evaluations will be at Cartersville HS on April 19. Below is the detailed itinerary for the day. We could use some help chaperoning if you’re available that day to ride the bus.
All Jazz Band Students: Please fill out this form to order lunch for Tuesday
- April 19, 2022
- 8:30AM Report/Load Equipment
- 9:00AM Depart
- 10:30AM Arrive at Cartersville HS
- 11:30AM WE Warm Up/CB & SB Lunch
- 12:00PM WE Perform • CB&SB in audience
- 12:30PM WE Lunch
- 12:45PM CB Warm-Up
- 1:15PM CB Perform • WE&SB in audience
- 1:30PM WE& Some CB (1 Bus) load to depart for CHS (WE has an after school rehearsal)
- 2:00PM Depart • 4:00PM Arrive back at CHS
- 1:45PM SB Warm-Up • Remaining CB in audience
- 2:15PM SB Perform
- 2:45PM Load Up
- 3:00PM Depart for CHS
- 5:00PM Arrive back at CHS
- Although we would prefer all of the students to have the opportunity to support one another in the audience, the wind ensemble students have an after school rehearsal with composer Julie Giroux on April 19 from 4:00PM – 6:00PM. Since we will have 2 buses and not all the CB & SB students will fit on one bus, we will send the WE and some of the CB students home with the first bus.
2022-2023 Trojan Guard Audition
April 18th-20th, 3:45PM- 7:00PM
- Attire (Black t-shirt, black athletic shorts, and running shoes)
- Google Form Signup Link: forms.gle/DdrTW4WECMvPPR1CA
This is a great opportunity for students who enjoy dancing and choreography to join our team! If you know of someone who has a great attitude and wants to get involved please let them know about this opportunity. Interested students should attend all 3 dates and wear athletic clothing and shoes.
Band Banquet • Monday, April 25 • CHS Cafeteria
The Band Banquet is quickly approaching. This year we will have the awards ceremony in the cafeteria. We are in need of volunteers to help us set-up and we also ask for volunteers to bring desserts. Please sign-up to volunteer here.
Northwest Georgia Percussion Ensemble Festival – Update!
April 30th is vastly approaching and will be here before we know it! Please note that rehearsal times have been extended to 6:00pm and because of band auditions and Honor’s Night, the rehearsal day has changed to Friday. Students are encouraged to attend all rehearsals leading up to the performance.
The host school has partnered with Jersey Mike’s for lunch. Each student will need to fill out the lunch form here and turn their money into Ms. Dothard as soon as possible. Dinner will be provided and distributed as we depart the school, heading back to CHS. For a tentative schedule, please see here.
We would like to continue our Senior Spotlights tradition that was started last year. Seniors or senior parents, click here to fill out this form to allow us to customize your senior spotlight. Filling out the form allows us to celebrate our senior’s future plans and share photos of them from throughout their school careers.
Just a reminder that Graduation this year is on May 20, 2022 although our last day of school is not until May 25. This is an important evening for all of our band students because not only do we get to celebrate with our graduating seniors, but we perform as part of the ceremony. This is a required performance for all wind and percussion students. An itinerary will be posted as we get closer to graduation, but I wanted to make sure that you understood that this is an evening commitment for our band students.
This is not intended to be an exhaustive list. Please refer to http://www.chstrojanband.com/calendar for a full list of upcoming events/activities:
- 4.18, 19, 20 Colorguard Auditions
- 4.19 Jazz Performance Evaluations at Cartersville HS
- 4.19 Wind Ensemble after school Rehearsal with Julie Giroux
- 4.21 Honors Night
- 4.23 Prom
- 4.25 Band Banquet
- 4.28 2022 Marching Band Meeting
- 4.30 North West Ga Percussion Ensemble Festival
- 5.5 Band BBQ
- 5.17 Spring Concert
- 5.20 Graduation • Band Performs
- 5.24 Exams – early release
- 5.25 Exams – early release • Last day of School
- 6.3 CHS Scramble Band Golf Tournament
- 6. 7, 9, 14, 16, 21, 23 Guard Summer Practices
- 6. 9, 16, 23, 30 Percussion Summer Practices
- 6.27 Annual Guard BBQ
- 7.1 4th of July Parade Practice
- 7.4 4th of July Parade
- 7.18 – 22 Band Camp Week 1 (8:00am – 5:00pm)
- 7.25 – 29 Band Camp Week 2 (8:00am – 9:00pm)
Categories: CHS Band