We have a very short week ahead of us. Students have 1st and 3rd period finals on Monday and 2nd and 4th period finals on Tuesday. Both days are early release days as well.
We pray that everyone has a chance to spend time with family and get some much needed rest of the Holiday break.
I look forward to seeing our students return on January 4, 2019!
Merry Christmas everyone, and a Happy New Year!
Yesterday we had many students audition for the GMEA District Honor Band. Students worked individually to learn scales, a lyrical etude, and improve sight-reading skills to prepare to compete against other musicians in our district for the opportunity to represent our school in this prestigious ensemble.
We are so proud of all of the students who made the commitment to prepare for the auditions and had the courage to compete yesterday at East Paulding High School. Your dedication to improving your individual skill level and musicianship is leading others in our band to strive for excellence. Thank you for pushing yourself everyday to do better. We are very proud of you!
Congratulations to the following students on earning a spot in this year’s District Honor Band! They will represent us in Ringgold, GA from February 14-16, 2019 in the District Honor Band. Go Trojans!!
Christmas Concert on Monday evening
We hope that you will join us in the Mabry Arts Center for a holiday presentation on Monday evening. Festivities will begin with Dr. Mclendon’s community string orchetra performance in the lobby at 6:30PM and the high school performance on stage at 7:00PM.
Students have elected to wear Christmas sweaters and Santa hats for this concert. Festive wear or our concert attire is also acceptable. We look forward to presenting a lighthearted sincere performance to spread holiday cheer to all in attendance.
- Concert Band 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm in band room (welcome to go home after rehearsal but you need to be back by 6:30pm for the sound check on stage)
- Symphonic Band 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm on stage (welcome to go home after rehearsal but you need to be back by 6:30pm for the sound check on stage)
- Wind Ensemble 5:30 pm- 6:30 pm on stage (welcome to go home before your rehearsal, please be back in time for your rehearsal)
- All students will be on stage at 6:30pm to prepare for the combined pieces.
Students have auditions on December 13 in class. The first 8 measures of the their respective GMEA etude is required for the prepared etude. Students will have 2 minutes to perform as many major/minor scales as they can from memory, points will be earned for correct performance of each octave. They will also perform their chromatic scale as required by GMEA. Their final task will be to complete a short sight-reading example.
Etudes can be found here: https://www.gmea.org/asb-audition-information. 9-10 graders will perform the “Concert Band” requirements on that website and 11-12 graders will perform the “Symphonic Band” requirements on that website.
This information has been announced during class for a couple of weeks and students are encouraged to see Mr. Carr or Mr. Bright if they have any questions or need assistance in printing an etude.
I hope that everyone had a terrific weekend. I am sorry that the weather ruined our plans this weekend. Waiting on the parade would have been miserable, especially considering our buses would of had to drop us off to and meet us at the end of the parade route. Without a plan for shelter, it could have been a really tough morning. Thank you for everyone’s patience and grace when the decision was made. I assure you it was made with the highest concern for student safety.
We have a little bit slower week this week, but still have a lot going on:
- Tuesday, December 4, 2018 • Basketball Band
- Any marching band members interested in participating in our basketball band, meet Mr. Bright in the band room at 5:00PM. We will perform stands tunes for our girls and guys games that evening. Bring money for concessions for dinner. We should be done around 8:30PM.
- Saturday, December 8, 2018 • District Honor Band at East Paulding High School
- Students who are participating in Distirict Honor Band auditions should report to East Paulding High School by 12:00PM. Our audition block is 1:00. Students should arrive with enough time to warm-up and get in line to audition around 1:00PM. The judges lunch is from 12:00-1:00, so if you get in line a little after 1:00PM that is ok, but be in line pretty close to 1:00PM. Best of luck to all students who are auditioning this weekend!
Speaking of auditions! We had our first students in the history of the school audition for All-State Jazz Band this past weekend at North Georgia College. If you see the following students, please congratulate them on their extraordinary efforts in representing our school at the All-State Jazz Band auditions: Brian Crews, guitar; Jacob Sipes, drum set; and Andrew Stagliano; baritone saxophone. The three students along with Cesar Ramirez, bass guitar will represent our school at the District Jazz Band in January! So proud of their efforts!